|V200 mtz. 1943 of the Granzerian 51st Aviation Wing, 9th Squadron, also known as Csoport-9|
|Designer||Zétény Bandi Petőcs|
|First flight||11 August 1943|
|Primary user||Granzerian Royal Air Force|
The Vertega V200 Sólyom (Granzerian: "Falcon") was a single-engine single-seat Second Great War fighter aircraft used by the Granzerian Royal Air Force in 1944–1947. It was designed and built in Csongrád by Vertega Aerospace. The Vertega V200 was considered by Axis and Allied pilots to be the best type produced in Granzery during The Second Great War. The V200 was built primarily around the powerful FÉMC F.1050 piston engine, which was also used in the Vertega V103 and other Granzerian, Volgarian and Elesarian fighters produced after 1941.
Design and development
The Vertega V200 began as an upgrade of the previous Vertega V103 using design elements from the Pokol V2000, but eventually evolved into a fighter of its own, also incorporating elements of the Tennish Joyce Toirneach. Several Toirneachs were acquired for testing in an exchange between Vertega Aerospace and Joyce from 1941-1942, while Vertega provided a number of V1500 and V2000 aircraft.
The Sólyom incorporated from the Toirneach its detachable wingtips, where the standard rounded wingtips could be replaced with longer and more tapered wingtips which would increase the aircrafts performance at higher altitudes, an area where the original Vertega V103 suffered compared to other Granzerian fighters and certain Allied fighters. The traditional Granzerian cockpit was also replaced with a Toirneach-style cockpit and the wings were modified in the style of the Toirneach to twist slightly along the trailing edge, with the angle of incidence decreasing from 2 degrees at the root to a half degree at the wingtip, which would cause the wingtips to stall before the entire wing, and allowing the aircraft to better recover from a stall.
The 1944 production model also included an extra 20mm Venczel GP 40/20 cannon compared to the original V103s two 20mm cannons and a pressurised cockpit, and also incorporated much of the airframe design of the Pokol V2000, eventually resulting in an aircraft that was considered to be the best conventional fighter produced in Granzery and arguably the best type produced by the Axis Powers.
The 1945 production model of the V200 replaced the 3 20mm cannons and 2 12.7mm machineguns with 6 12.7 machineguns, allowing for a faster, more manoeuvrable aircraft with greater range which was used as an escort fighter for bomber aircraft and for hunting Allied fighters. The 1945 and 1944 models both continued to be produced and serve alongside one another until the end of the war.
In 1946 a new model was put into production which incorporated a number of weight-saving measures as well as an improved engine with four propeller blades rather than three to better allow the aging V200 to compete in the contemporary air battlefield, these included a lengthened fuselage, greater visibility for the pilot, and increasing the size of the tailfin and rudder to assist in counteracting the greater torque from the more powerful engine. Only approximately 200 of the 1946 model V200s were completed, but are considered to be one of the greatest piston engine fighter aircraft designed, the V200 mtz. 1946 was also developed into the Vertega 2000 in 1973, which introduced an aluminium airframe and more powerful, modern engine, designed to be sold on the civilian market as a racing and aerobatics aircraft.
In late 1943, Vertega's chief designer suggested the development of a simple jet fighter based around the V200s wing, which was to use a prototype jet engine being produced by WKW Iparag. The jet (which was known as the Vertega V210) involved a redesigned tail and a modified fuselage to carry the engine intake and the engines themselves. The V210 combined the success of the V200s airframe with the groundbreaking technology of the jet engine, and design philosophies learnt from the performance of the V210 would go on to inspire elements of the V221 jet fighter in 1946. Once the V221 was introduced the V210 was largely made obsolete although models remained in service until the wars end. The V210 was host to a litany of issues due to its hasty development, including a poor engine reliability and excessive drag at high speed caused by the wing configuration of the V200, despite this it proved successful against other midwar jet aircraft such as the Vazandian TBA and Stasnovan Ra-15 boasting a kill-loss record of 3:1 against the more numerous Ra-15.
The Vertega V200 entered service eight months after its first flight, first seeing action with the 30. Csoport over North Aestia and with the 9. Csoport over Vazandia. In combat with Acronian aircraft in the region the V200 proved an exceptionally formidable adversary to Acronian pilots who were mostly piloting older, early-war aircraft. In the Vazandian air war, the V200 demonstrated itself to be superior to the models of TBA that were fielded by the Vazandian forces, although as more capable Vazandian models continued to be upgraded throughout the war the V200 would eventually find itself on equal footing with Vazandian fighters.
Specifications (V200 mtz. 1944)
- Crew: 1
- Length: 9.37 m (30 ft 9 in)
- Wingspan: 10.85 m (11.83 with high altitude extensions) (38 ft 10 in)
- Height: 3.13 m (without the antenna mast) (10 ft 3¼ in)
- Wing area: 21.11 m² (227.23 ft²)
- Empty weight: 2,630 kg (5,798 lb)
- Loaded weight: 3,520 kg (7,760 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 3,718 kg (8,197 lb)
- Powerplant: 1× FÉMC F.1050 K.M.58 liquid-cooled inverted V-12, 1,100 kW (1,500 hp)
- Maximum speed: 642 km/h (671 km/h with WEP) (347 kn, 399 mph) at 7,200 m (23,600 ft)
- Range: 1,200 km, or 1,650 km with two 100 l (26 US Gal) drop tanks under wings (545 nmi, 627 mi (or 891 nmi, 1,025 mi with drop tanks ))
- Service ceiling: 12,750 m (41,830 ft)
- Rate of climb: 5 min 50 sec at 6,000 m .
- Wing loading: 154.0 kg/m² (34.15 lb/ft²)
- Power/mass: 0.308 kW/kg (0.190 hp/lb)
- Climb to 7,000 m (22,970 ft): 8.57 min
V200 mtz. 1943:
- 1 × 20 mm Venczel GP 40/20 cannon, engine-mounted (250 rounds)
- 4 × 12.7 mm (.5 in) HM Arzenál GP35 machine guns, two in the upper engine cowling, two in the lower cowling/wing roots (300 rpg)
V200 mtz. 1944:
- 3 × 20 mm Venczel GP 40/20, one engine-mounted (250 rounds) and two wing-mounted (200 rpg)
- 2 × 12.7 mm HM Arzenál GP35 machine guns in the upper engine cowling (300 rpg)
- Provision for 2 × 160 kg (353 lb) bombs on underwing racks